Serving MD, DC, & VA

1997 Annapolis Exchange Parkway Suite 300
Annapolis, MD 21401

Credit Report Errors

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you are permitted to report and correct any errors in your credit history.  The three main consumer credit reporting agencies (CRA’s) are:

    • Trans Union LLC,
    • Equifax Information Services, LLC, and
  • Experian Information Solutions, Inc.

Individuals are entitled to a free copy of their credit report from each bureau online once a year, and within 30 days of any credit denial, from

If you discover an error on your credit report, you must inform the credit reporting agencies as quickly as possible and the credit bureaus must investigate your claims within 30 days.  The notification of the error to the credit bureau is called a “dispute”.  These disputes must specifically notify the bureaus of the mistake, or error, in your credit report.

Once the credit bureaus receive a dispute, they must forward all relevant information about the mistake to the company or organization that provided them the incorrect information in the first place. Once the information provider is properly notified of the dispute, it must conduct its own investigation, and report back to all three credit bureaus if it discovers that the disputed information is indeed an error. If the information provider cannot verify (due to the failure to find the consumer’s file, for example) then the furnisher must promptly delete the item from your credit report, or modify based on the results of the search.

What do I do if I find an error in my credit report?

  1. Make sure to get all three credit reports from (if there is an error on one report, there is a good chance there is an error on all three)
  2. Contact me so that I can help you file a proper dispute to have the error corrected (there is no reason to fight this battle alone because I file disputes for my clients FREE OF CHARGE)
  3. If the credit bureaus or the company who furnishes the information refuse to fix the error, I will file a lawsuit on your behalf on a contingency fee basis, i.e. I only get paid out of any verdict or settlement with the credit bureaus.

Call credit report attorney today for a FREE consultation.